So I alluded to my first project when I wrote the last blog. Here’s what I started with:
I was dying to try some Annie Sloan Chalk Paint ASCP but I wanted a piece that wasn’t initially expensive in case I messed it all up and had to trash it and start all over (or quit!). This piece was a great one because it had been in the same family since new and was well taken care of. When I went to pick it up I was thrilled to discover behind the center door there were 3 additional drawers!! So I did my Pinterest research and discovered that ASCP was offered nearby and I rushed out to buy some (dragging my sister along) I had a bit of sticker shock ($35.95+tax for a QUART!) but I swallowed hard, paid and brought the ACSP Old Ochre paint home. I was anxious to start. I had been at a moms conference all day with my sister but I got home and got started at 10pm that night. Here’s what I accomplished the first night:
The 3 odd shaped things are the drawers from behind the center door. The thing I liked about chalk paint was everyone kept saying no prep, no sanding. So I washed the piece with soapy water and once dry, started painting. Chalk paint covers nicely and goes on easy so I was thrilled that I hadn’t wasted the $$ I spent and pleased with how fast I was able to progress the first night.
I also removed the hardware and used Rustoleum Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint to give it an updated look.
I went back to the mom conference the next day and returned home to work some more on my project. I think my sister thought I was nuts! I used Minwax dark walnut stain as a glaze over the center door and drawers and they came along nicely with the glaze bringing out the detail in the woodwork:
I struggled with how to add the glaze to the top and sides without it looking weird. It turned out different than how I planned but I like it 🙂
One neat thing about the chalk paint is that as I added the glaze by rubbing it on, it naturally distressed the chalk paint:
Once I had the glaze on all 9 drawers, the top & sides I then let it “cure” for a few days. I knew this piece would have drinks and such set on it so I sealed the top with Minwax Polyurethane but I cheated and sprayed poly on the drawers and door using Valspar clear gloss. It sure made things go faster! We let it set a few more days, attached the hardware then brought it inside and to its new place:
All in all, I am very happy with my first project. Recently, my husband and I were at a craft fair and he saw a similarly painted piece for $450. Suddenly, he believes too 😉 Good thing since I’m obsessed now!